2021-2022 NYCLU TAP Application
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS PROGRAM IS FOR STUDENTS LIVING IN NYC.
IF YOU LIVE OUTSIDE NYC, PLEASE APPLY TO THE STUDENT AMBASSADORS PROGRAM AT NYCLU.ORG/YOUTH.
NYCLU's Teen Activist Project (TAP) is an exciting youth program that engages New York City teens as leaders and organizers on civil rights and civil liberties. TAP members work on a range of advocacy issues including the rights of pregnant and parenting teens, students' rights, racial justice, LGBTQ rights, immigrants' rights, freedom of speech and religion - and more! TAP is a great opportunity for young people interested in law, health care, social justice issues and community organizing. TAP programming will be in-person this year with a virtual option. There is more information and questions below to gauge your interest and comfort.
- Be between the ages of 14 and 21 in the NYC area, and currently enrolled in High School or a GED program
- Be available to meet Mondays from 4:00 - 6:00pm
- Be able to commit to meeting at least one additional day of the week outside of Mondays
- Be interested in youth and student rights, health, and social justice
- Be committed to working with other teens to promote health and justice
- Be willing and able to discuss controversial issues sensitively and respectfully
- Be committed to meeting and presenting workshops throughout the week
- Be interested in current events and how they impact New Yorkers
Note: Students of all backgrounds are eligible for the program, regardless of immigration status.
What Will I Get Out of Participating?:
- Limited stipends available! (Up to $600)
- Community service hours
- Opportunities to plan and participate in workshops, trips and other educational or advocacy projects
- Leadership, public speaking and community organizing skills
- Knowledge about the law and how it affects New Yorkers
- Meeting organizers and activists from all over NYC
- Valuable experience organizing for social change
- Become a member of the NYCLU family, meeting and working with professionals on social justice issues
The application deadline is Sunday, September 26th, 2021. The application will close at 11:59 PM that evening. Meet and Greets will be held in mid-October after the application deadline to invite selected applicants to learn about the NYCLU, the TAP program and meet our current TAP members. If you have any questions, please contact Kenny Nguyen at 212-607-3351 or firstname.lastname@example.org