Protect Trans Youth
TAKE ACTION NOW
Ohio lawmakers are targeting trans youth with TWO ill-conceived and dangerous bills.
The first, HB 513 drives a wedge between LGBTQ youth and medical professionals by criminalizing doctors for providing medically necessary care for transgender youth. Among other things, this legislation will:
- Prohibit evidence-based medical care based on the individual needs of trans youth in Ohio.
- Criminalize doctors with third degree felonies who provide surgical care to trans youth.
- Establish a 20-year statute of limitations on a civil course of action against doctors who offer care to trans youth.
The second, HB 527 the so-called "Save Women's Sports Act" – will exclude transgender students from participating in sports that match their gender identity.
- School athletic programs should be open to ALL students. Participation in sports results in positive outcomes for students: better grades, higher educational and occupational aspirations, and improved self-esteem.
- Excluding trans girls from participating in girls’ sports deprives them of opportunities available to their peers and sends the message they are not worthy of a full and social life.
It’s time to stop these shameful attacks on trans youth and focus on issues that really matter to the people of Ohio. Being a kid is hard enough. We don't need politicians making it even harder for kids who are trans and singling them out for increased bullying and harassment.
PROTECT TRANS KIDS: Tell the lawmakers sponsoring these bills to immediately withdraw support.
Co-sponsors and joint-sponsors of anti-Trans bills