Take Action: Stop HCR 11!
Last week, the House passed HCR 11; the State Senate will now consider the resolution. The ballot initiative process should empower citizens to propose actions to improve their communities, bypassing legislative bias and providing a direct say in laws that affect their lives. HCR 11 does not do that.
Instead, HCR 11:
- Creates a ballot initiative process that explicitly bans voters from raising initiatives on abortion access.
- Blocks initiatives that propose changes to the Mississippi Constitution, including reforms to racist felony disenfranchisement laws.
- Grants the legislature veto power over any proposal brought by citizens.
Mississippians deserve a true ballot initiative process. We need:
- A fair process that does not attempt to infringe on the constitutional rights of the people.
- A process that does not use hot topic issues as a bargaining chip.
- A process that ensures that the people have a true alternative route to accomplish a better quality of life.
Send a message to legislators urging them to block HCR 11 and fight for a fair ballot initiative process!
Lieutenant Governor Delbert Hosemann
Your State Senator