Let Minnesota County Attorneys Know You Care About Criminal Justice Reform
County attorneys are some of the most powerful people in the criminal justice system. They decide who gets criminal charges filed against them, the severity of those charges, or if charges get filed at all. County attorneys can contribute to increases in incarceration and exacerbate racial inequities in our justice system, or they can be agents for criminal justice reform.
And you get to vote for them.
In July, we sent a survey to county attorney candidates across the state of Minnesota asking their opinions on various criminal justice reforms. We sent over 100 questionnaires but only a handful were returned. You have a right to know where your county attorney candidates stand on criminal justice issues like mass incarceration, cash bail, racial inequity, and more.
So far, we have received completed surveys from the following candidates:
- Chippewa County Attorney candidate Krystal Lynne
- Hennepin County Attorney candidate Michael Freeman
- Hennepin County Attorney candidate Mark Haase
- Itasca County Attorney candidate Ellen Tholen
- Nicollet County Attorney candidate Michelle Zehnder Fischer
- Nicollet County Attorney candidate Elizabeth Levine
- Renville County Attorney candidate David Torgelson
Sign the petition below to let YOUR county attorney candidate know that you care about criminal justice reform. If your county attorney filled out the survey, we'll tell them you said thanks! If not, we'll inform them that you want to see their response to our criminal justice questionnaire.
We'll post the questionnaires on our Campaign for Smart Justice website this September!