Philanthropy and Engagement Special Assistant
The full-time, salaried Philanthropy and Engagement Special Assistant is a key member of the Philanthropy and Engagement Team working to ensure that we meet the ACLU of Illinois’ ambitious fundraising goals and connect with supporters across the state.
This position reports to the Director of Philanthropy and Engagement and is responsible for providing administrative and executive support to the Director; processing donations and entering supporter information into our Salesforce 360 database; producing acknowledgements, thanking our donors and creating reports to maximize data-driven decision-making; coordinating meetings; and assisting with events and other engagement initiatives. While many work processes already exist, this newly created position will be responsible for identifying opportunities for improvements and developing solutions.
This position requires a strong commitment to equity and inclusion work, such as personal reflection and growth, team activities, and organization-wide conversations and trainings. This position also requires an interest in leadership opportunities, as our team shares responsibility for facilitating and reporting at team and organization-wide meetings, and we develop many team practices together with input valued from all members.
Administrative and Executive Support – 50%
- Assist and act in a confidential capacity to the Director, who, as the senior leader with the responsibility of setting and meeting our fundraising goals, has a direct role in formulating, determining, and effectuating management policy in the area of labor relations, including decisions about salary and benefits.
- Schedule internal and external meetings for Director of Philanthropy and Engagement and provide meeting support such as creating meeting agendas, communicating with attendees, taking notes, and coordinating follow up.
- Provide email support for Director of Philanthropy and Engagement.
- Enter donor visit notes into the database for the Director of Philanthropy & Engagement, the Executive Director, and other ACLU staff as needed.
- Schedule Philanthropy and Engagement team meetings.
- Represent the ACLU of Illinois at weekly ACLU National development calls, circulate notes, and provide updates at team meetings.
- Collaborate with our Annual Fund and Engagement Manager to collect and develop supporter resources and communications.
- Work with our Director of Institutional Giving and the Finance Team to gather information required for grant applications.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for donor inquiries via phone and email.
- Collaborate with the Philanthropy and Engagement Team on special projects, as needed.
Gift Processing, Thank You Program, and Reporting – 40%
- Process donations in a timely and accurate manner.
- Manage our thank you program.
- Support the Philanthropy and Engagement Associate with Salesforce reports, including regular Salesforce revenue reports for the Finance Team.
- Provide support to the Finance Team as needed.
Event Support – 5%
- Collaborate with the Annual Fund and Engagement Manager to provide event support for both virtual and in person events.
Staff Leader – 5%
- Participate as a collaborative, positive member of the whole ACLU of Illinois team and the Philanthropy and Engagement team.
- Facilitate team meetings and present at staff meetings on a rotating basis.
- Engage in ongoing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging work.
- Develop a solid understanding of the ACLU’s structure and programs.
- Commitment to fostering a positive and welcoming environment for all people and to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as core values.
- Proven ability to work with team members, across departments, and with external partners to analyze, innovate, and deliver results.
- Enthusiasm to engage with our supporters.
- Strong ability to process and organize data with few errors, and skills to communicate about and summarize data.
- Ability to communicate effectively in one-on-one conversations, team meetings, and group presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion, uphold the highest level of confidentiality, and exercise good independent judgement.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines on a tight timeline, while maintaining a strong attention to detail.
- Experience with Salesforce, non-profit gift processing, and/or Microsoft Office Suite preferred but not required.
- Previous experience with administrative support preferred but not required.
- Willingness and availability to occasionally work outside of normal 9-5 work hours and on weekends.
This position requires maintaining some physical file records and word processing in an ADA-compliant office space. Travel outside of Chicago is not required. This position will require occasional work outside of our normal 9-5 office hours and on weekends.
ACLU of Illinois staff are based in Chicago, IL, and are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When conditions are safe, our office will reopen.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
In accordance with the ACLU salary scale and commensurate with experience, the salary range is $45,000 to $55,000. Benefits include four weeks paid vacation; 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff and eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement benefits plan with employer match; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance.
To apply, please share:
- A resume
- In the place of a cover letter, please respond to the following prompts, using no more than 1-2 pages:
- Please share about a time in which you needed to balance competing priorities. How did you decide what needed to be completed and when? How did you communicate that to others involved? How did you keep yourself organized?
- Please share about a time in which you had to work in a team to overcome a challenge. Please include detail on your role on the team, how you engaged with others in addressing the challenge and what you learned about yourself and/or others from the process that you would consider in future work.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out the fields below. Then, email your application materials to email@example.com and use the subject line: “Philanthropy and Engagement Special Assistant."
For consideration for this positon, please apply by October 15. Interviews will begin in late October.
No calls or outreach via social media or other platforms, please.
The ACLU of Illinois seeks to create a team that reflects our organizational commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and where each person feels that they belong. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal record, or veteran status.