Charitable Gift Annuities
Charitable Gift Annuities (CGAs) are a popular way to ensure your own financial security, while also playing a personal role in protecting freedom’s future.
They offer these benefits in exchange for a charitable donation to the ACLU Foundation:
- Reliable, fixed payments for life (as high as 9%) to you and/or another beneficiary
- A federal income tax charitable deduction
- A significant reduction in capital gains tax for appreciated securities held at least one year and one day
If you are at least age 60, making a minimum contribution of $10,000 for a gift annuity can help to ensure a secure retirement while you help to advance civil liberties. Once you’ve completed your gift, annuity payments continue for your life, regardless of the market, economy, or interest rates.
Some people don’t need extra income right now, but want to ensure that they don’t exhaust their resources later in life. That’s why there is an option to begin payments on a future date. Your payments can begin just when you need them, and your eventual payment rate increases for every year that you defer payments.
Note: The ACLU Foundation does not issue annuities to residents of Alabama, Hawaii, or Tennessee.
Please complete the form at the top of this page to request a written proposal, or Contact Us to discuss the details with a Gift Planning Officer.
To complete a Charitable Gift Annuity:
- Learn the Annuity Rate for your current age or ages
- Review our Disclosure Statement
- Complete a CGA Enrollment Form
- Mail your completed form, a copy of proof of birth date for each annuity recipient (e.g. driver’s license, passport, or birth certificate), and a check made payable to:
Attn: Office of Gift Planning
125 Broad St., 18th Fl.
New York, NY 10004
- Please call us at 877-867-1025 if you would like instructions for donating shares of stock.
Charitable Remainder Trusts are separately invested trusts that can be custom-tailored for your needs. They allow you the flexibility of choosing the number of beneficiaries, fixed or variable payments, and specific rate of payment. You may also contribute marketable non-cash property such as real estate, artwork, or antiques ($100,000 minimum contribution). The ACLU Foundation has special fee arrangements for the efficient management of Charitable Remainder Trusts. To inquire, please Contact Us.
Please note: This information is not intended as tax or legal advice. We recommend that you consult with your legal and financial advisors to learn how a gift would work in your circumstances. Laws and regulations governing all gifts and availability of certain life income gifts vary by state.