Sexual Abuse Happens in Homeless Shelters
Sexual abuse is never ok. Speak up to put an end to it.
Homeless shelters are supposed to provide a safe place to live. But staff members sometimes sexually harass, exploit, or assault shelter residents. Some examples of this abusive behavior include:
- Unwelcome comments ("You look so beautiful today." "You have nice breasts." "Are you single?" "Do you like sex?").
- Leering or suggestive gesturing.
- Exposing themselves.
- Asking for a date or "hook up."
- Soliciting sex.
- Asking residents to trade sex for privileges.
- Sexual assault (unwanted touching, groping, forcing or pressuring you into any type of sex).
- Retaliation against residents who resist or choose to stop.
Whether you said no in the moment, fought back, said nothing, or if you ultimately submitted to the staff member — YOUR STORY MATTERS.